I am editing these photos as the Polar Vortex rages outside my window, and pondering a question human beings have no doubt long pondered: why did we ever settle more than 500 miles away from the equator? I’d like to have a long chat with the overzealous Homo Sapien who chose to venture North, because as much as I love New York City, it turns into an actual concrete jungle when the weather veers south of freezing. I’m reminded (appropriately) of a scene in Mean Girls, where the high school students suddenly morph into wild animals and begin rampant attack on one another–except that rather than the cinder block walls of a high school, we’re enclosed by subway stations and building lobbies.
The below outfit is a typical workday uniform, albeit not fully representative of what I would actually wear in 20-degree-wind-chill circumstances. Immediately upon shooting these photos (as you may or may not be able to tell, due to inclement weather conditions, I am posing a full 3 steps outside the front door), I ran back upstairs to add a fur vest, huge scarf, and thick socks. If you’re wondering about the heels, they stayed. 15+ years in New York and I still don’t own a pair of rain boots.
Outfit credits after the jump.
- Hat: H&M (shop similar)
- Sunglasses: Illesteva (buy em)
- Blazer: Elizabeth & James (buy it)
- Chambray: J.Crew (mine is from last spring, but buy this years’ version here)
- Coat: BB Dakota (buy it)
- Necklace: Jennifer Zeuner (a birthday gift from the boyfriend, who may I say, has impeccable taste and will be making a skinny-jeaned appearance on this site shortly)
- Booties: Vince Camuto (buy similar in black, or identical in taupe)