I often change my mind about which neighborhood in New York is my favorite (with frequent fluctuations between my corner of the very east East Village, the charming tree-lined streets of the West Village, where my boyfriend lives, and various pockets of Brooklyn), but I know that among my most beloved streets is the Bowery. I savor the juxtaposition of the Old New York of Chinese markets, restaurant supply stores and dive bars meeting the New, of cocktail lounges and small plates restaurants, galleries and eclectic boutiques–not to mention, it’s one of the places in New York where it’s still difficult to tell the beautiful people and the homeless apart (hint: the key distinguisher is usually their handbags).
I spent Saturday afternoon frequenting some of my best-loved establishments along the Bowery, including one too many al fresco Bloody Marys at Sweet & Vicious and subsequent buzzed shopping at Intermix. If ever you find yourself in the area, may I highly recommend it, supplementing your day with an agenda of: poached eggs at Freeman‘s, grilled blowfish tails (for serious) at Uncle Boons, contemporary art at The New Museum, octopus & short rib at Pearl & Ash, fireside cocktails at The Bowery Hotel and fine tunes at The Bowery Ballroom.
Sunny Saturday outfit credits after the jump.
- Sunglasses: Prada (last seen here, buy em here)
- Blazer: Forever 21 (buy it here, or opt for my favorite black blazer: seen here, purchase here)
- Leotard: Forever 21 (buy it here. Leotards are pretty much my best kept secret. The perfection of their tuck is almost worth how difficult they make it to pee)
- Belt: Vintage Chanel, via Babushka Bogo
- Rings: Bauble Bar, David Yurman, Catbird + Brooklyn Flea
- Purse: Balenciaga (last seen here, buy similar here)
- Jeans: Topshop (buy similar here or here)
- Booties: Vintage, via What Goes Around Comes Around (check out other white booties I’m loving from Rag & Bone, Loeffler Randall, and Diba)